It appears that Europe is the epicenter of the novel coronavirus that came from China at the end of last year. However, it is possible that Africa could be next to the hotspot of this virus, which has killed over 269,002 people worldwide.
Africa has seen a surge in new COVID-19 infections in recent weeks, and the WHO has warned that there are more related deaths yet to be seen on the continent.
The continent is currently facing the challenge of accessing coronavirus test kits. This implies that what is reported may be lower in actual cases.
Although only a few African countries are still able to test for the virus, many have inadequate kits, and WHO is working with its partners to address significant gaps in the supply of these important kits.
African Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) have distributed thousands of COVID-19 test kits to help the continent resolve a test deficiency, yet it’s still not enough.
With a lack of testing and poor medical facilities, Africa is still less affected than other continents. Only 54,593 cases have been confirmed on the continent. This is only a fraction of the total 1,280,951 registered in the United States.
Africa has also recorded the lowest corona-related deaths. The 2,071 deaths that have been confirmed across the continent are lower than 1,553,234 deaths, 1,397,516 deaths, and 618,215 deaths registered in Europe, America, and Asia according to worldometers.
However, the WHO believes that this novel virus could kill between 83,000 and 190,000 people in Africa within a year. It is also predicted that between 29 and 44 million people will be infected with the virus within a year if it is not contained.
The projection presented on Thursday is based on the assumption that containment measures have not been taken in Africa, which fortunately was not the case.
What the WHO chief in Africa, Mitshidiso Moeti, told reporters in a conference call now seems to be wrong. In addition, the WHO study was only conducted in 47 African countries that are members and not across the continent. This excluded countries such as Egypt.
This is due to the fact that most countries on the African continent have already taken measures to curb the spread of the virus. Measures include restricting public gatherings, banning international travel, curfew, etc.
The first case was reported later on this continent than on any other continent, and the transmission is said to be slower than elsewhere. However, according to the WHO, this could lead to a longer, years-long outbreak.
In a separate statement, Moeti stated that COVID-19 could become an integral part of people’s lives in Africa for the next few years unless most administrations in the region take a proactive approach. He added that it was necessary to track, trace, and isolate in order to win the fight against this contagious virus that killed many people daily.
Also, the organization has warned that small countries may be most affected.
Nelson Richards is a Seasoned Journalist with nearly 6 years of experience. While studying at Case Western Reserve University, Located at Cleveland. Nelson found a passion for finding and writing articles which are published in Well known Media Publications such as Tnt Publications and Ohio News Network. As a contributor to Chroniclex Nelson Covers National Topics.