At Least 4 Dead in Cauca Shooting

At Least 4 Dead in Cauca Shooting

Four people were killed by a group of armed men in the village of Santa Elena, in the municipality of Corinto, Cauca. Near the place where the bodies were found, they found the documents of Carlos Mario López, Diego Torres Rodríguez, Diego Cerguera and Roosevelt Saavedra.

“They have signs of torture and seem to be slaughtered. They apparently threw them out of a car and left them abandoned. So far they are reviewing identities, but what they confirm is that they are not indigenous, ”said Joe Sauca, coordinator of the Regional Indigenous Council of Cauca (CRIC) to El Espectador. The murderers would have fled to the mountainous area, according to the first information.

Jaime Asprilla, secretary of the Government of Cauca, said that the areas where they found the bodies were already members of the Technical Investigation Corps (CTI) of the Prosecutor’s Office and other authorities to identify the victims.

For his part, President Iván Duque announced that he will review the facts with the Prosecutor’s Office. “We have already given a very clear instruction: I have asked the Minister (of Defense, Guillermo Botero) and the General Commander (of the Military Forces) to move immediately to the department of Cauca. Mr. Commander, General Luis Fernando Navarro, must be traveling now, the Minister must be traveling early in the morning (Friday), “said the president in Voices RCN.

The defense minister attributed the violent events that have occurred in the department in the last 48 hours, to the drug gangs that are present in the area.

On the other hand, Senator Roy Barreras denounced what happened through his Twitter account. In addition, he said there was another murder in the Huasanó sector, also north of Cauca.

On October 29, five Nasa Indians were massacred and six were injured after an attack that, according to the authorities, would have been perpetrated by the FARC’s dissident column, Dagoberto Ramos. One of the fatalities was Cristina Bautista, community authority. The other four were indigenous guards.

President Iván Duque traveled to the department on October 30 for a security council in which he announced that he would order the transfer of 2,500 soldiers to the area. However, the indigenous authorities assured that the militarization of the region does not guarantee the reduction of murders.

“We must invest more in land restitution, in strengthening the councils, working in territorial control and continuing with the indigenous guards to make a transition to peace,” said Sauca.

Nelson Richards is a Seasoned Journalist with nearly 6 years of experience. While studying at Case Western Reserve University, Located at Cleveland. Nelson found a passion for finding and writing articles which are published in Well known Media Publications such as Tnt Publications and Ohio News Network. As a contributor to Chroniclex Nelson Covers National Topics.

Share this post

Post Comment